Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Feeling Like Writing Again

Elizabeth Black writes in a wide variety of genres including erotica, erotic romance, horror, and dark fiction. She lives on the Massachusetts coast with her husband, son, and three cats. Visit her web site, her Facebook page, and her Amazon Author Page.

-----

It's hard to stay motivated when books you've poured your heart into don't sell and publishers shut down. In addition to writing erotic fiction, I also write horror and dark fantasy. I'm branching out into thrillers now. The publisher that was going to publish my family saga/thriller/cozy Secrets and Lies has closed its doors a couple of months ago. Now I have to start the process over again to find either a new publisher or an agent. One publisher is interested in the book, and I'm in contact now, but frankly I'm burned out. I haven't written much in the past two years except for short stories. Looking for an agent is taking most of my time. At least the holidays are coming so I'll slow down and enjoy the season for the time being. I do have a short erotic Christmas story coming out soon. The Stanley Hotel Writers Retreat inspired me, though, so I'm finally writing again.

How many other authors out there get discouraged with writing? I know I can't be the only one. I've talked to plenty of discouraged writers. Why punish ourselves with the isolation, loneliness, and hard work? I can't say "writers write because they must" because there has to be some benefit to it. Hopefully, once Secrets and Lies finds a new home, I'll feel encouraged again.  In the meantime, I'm looking into new Facebook groups and blogs in those genres for promotional purposes. I'll continue to promote it on my radio show, The Women Show. Since the book is set near my home I plan to set up book readings nearby. I'll be happy once that book is published since I've worked on it for over a decade. Then comes the hard work promoting it. I do see a light at the end of the tunnel, but that's one freaking long tunnel. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment